Monday, March 10, 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop

I was tagged by the incomparable Laura Brown to participate in this author blog hop. I was happy to participate because I love writing and am happy to have the opportunity to share my process and tag another writer to continue the chain!

Here is a little bit about Laura:

Laura Brown lives in Massachusetts with her quirky abnormal family. Laura and her three cats are “differently abled.” Laura is hard of hearing, her oldest cat is deaf and partially blind, and the other two cats have cerebellar hyplasia (they shake, and they don’t find it endearing). The “normal” members of her family include her husband, who has put up with her since high school, and her young son who enjoys “typing” on Mommy’s laptop and has agreed to take full blame for all spelling errors.

You can find out more here: http://laurabrownauthor.com/ 

She just released her first novel: Lila's Choice, which is a wonderful story about two people who learn to never let their friends and students get too involved in their personal life. It can be purchased on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Lilas-Choice-Laura-Brown-ebook/dp/B00IA6IKV2/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1394385774&sr=8-1&keywords=lila%27s+choice

Now, on to the questions:

What am I working on?

I usually work on 1 book at a time, but I've experienced a bit of a back up and am currently working on 3 books right now.

1. Never Ever After: Lucian's book, who is a supporting character in Love, but Never. He had his heartbroken in Love, but Never and has become kind of a cynic in the years since the end of the book, having spent the better part of a year in Iraq. When he gets home he realizes that life in Arizona has gone on without him and he feels like he no longer fits.

2. The currently untitled book for Anton: This is a spinoff of the Professor series. It will follow Anton and his partner, Sophie on their next big undercover project: a major player in Medicare fraud. As part of their training, Sophie and Anton will spend sometime together in close quarters, where chemistry takes control. Anton can't wait to show Sophie everything his lifestyle has to offer.

3. Seven Days: this book will be a departure from anything you've previously read from me. It is a dark romance with sex, violence and drug use.

How does my work differ from others in its genre?

I pride myself in trying to have heroes and heroines that let each other get a sentence out before getting angry. I like having characters that know how to effectively communicate with each other. One of my biggest pet peeves as a reader is easily solved misunderstandings.

Other than that, I'd say that each of my books is different from the other books I've written. I pride myself on trying to keep my stories fresh. I read too many cookie cutter books from authors. That's not to say that I don't love every single one, but I try to write a different story every time.

Why do I write what I do?

I write because I have to. I feel like I have no choice but to put pen to paper to get everything jumping around in my head down and out. I write romance because that's what appeals to me as a reader. I am a sucker for a happy ending, even if it's so syrupy sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

How does my writing process work?

Some authors outline, some authors pre-write, some authors plan... I cherry pick what I do, but mostly I just sit down and write. I don't try to censor anything that comes out of my head until I've written it all down. I reread everything I wrote the day before and do a small edit. I try to keep it as organic as possible and depend on betas and close friends during the revision process, because I have the tendency to edit/revise out the emotion in the story in favor of beating a dead horse.

Be sure to keep up with the chain next week:

Brittainy Cherry has been in love with words since the day she took her first breath. She lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her loved ones and loves a great romance. The Space In Between is her debut novel and she looks forward to the world being able to read it! Other hobbies that she loves to take part in are writing screenplays, acting, and dancing--poorly of course. Coffee, chai tea, and wine are three things that she thinks every person should partake in! When she's not running around and crafting stories, she's probably playing with her wonderfully adorable fur babies who she loves to death!
You can find her on facebook at: www.facebook.com/BrittainyCherryAuthor and at goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7121791.Brittainy_C_Cherry

You can pick up her debut book here: http://www.amazon.com/Space-Between-Brittainy-Cherry-ebook/dp/B00EG37XTI/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1394386879

No comments:

Post a Comment